Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loses connectivity with USB
I'm using the GPS to keep my PC clock on track for JT65-HF. However, I get occasional messages that the USB connection is lost, and I have to close bkttimesync and reopen it to restore the connection. I have power settings set to keep the USB alive, and thought that would cure the problem.

Anything else I should try, or is it something with the program?

I'm using Win 7 64bit Home Premium. Hardware is 2013 MacMini with 16Gb and native Windows boot. The GPS is a ublox 5 from Microsoft Streets and Trips. I can usually see 8 or more sats with this device...

IZ2BKT: How was the coffee?
kf5tfj Wrote:I'm using the GPS to keep my PC clock on track for JT65-HF. However, I get occasional messages that the USB connection is lost, and I have to close bkttimesync and reopen it to restore the connection. I have power settings set to keep the USB alive, and thought that would cure the problem.

Anything else I should try, or is it something with the program?

I'm using Win 7 64bit Home Premium. Hardware is 2013 MacMini with 16Gb and native Windows boot. The GPS is a ublox 5 from Microsoft Streets and Trips. I can usually see 8 or more sats with this device...

IZ2BKT: How was the coffee?

Hi,
USB connections can be disrupted by radio frequency falls, try to verify if the disconnection occurs when you're in TX.
BktTimeSync activates the connection with the GPS only for the time needed for synchronization, then closes it.
73 de Mauro, IZ2BKT
I have bkttimesync set to update at minute 49 during the JT65 quiet time. However at the conclusion of the 73 exchange I send the callsign CW tag; I'll change the update to second 58 to see if that makes a difference. I doubt it will as I have left the program running overnight while my transceiver is off and still got the same error.
I have been seeing this loss of USB connectivity in v1.3.0. It occurs while monitoring, while not transmitting.

I have tried two different GPS devices (a Garmin 18x USB running Franson GPSGate, and a GlobalSat BU-353 with the Prolific PL-2303 USB-serial chipset) to determine if the problem is on the USB side. Both GPS exhibit the same problem.

Restarting BKTTimeSync will usual resolve the issue.

My setup is Windows 7 (64 bit), Intel Atom CPU D525 @ 1.80GHz, 2 GB RAM.
Unfortunately I do not have a GPS USB, however I try to verify and correct the problem in the next version.
Stay tuned.
73 de Mauro, IZ2BKT
Try BktTimeSync version 1.4.0.
73 de Mauro, IZ2BKT