Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Repeated failure to retrieve time from NTP server
I have been using BktTimeSync for several years and have occasionally had failures to retrieve time from the ntp2.inrim.it default server.
Whenever that happens, I select another server from the list and all is well.

However in the last few days, all the Italian servers give the same Error 11004 and servers in other countries as well.
Has something changed? Is authorization now needed from the server?

I tried reloading your software, but the problem is still there. I have this on three different computers. Two running XP
and one on Windows 7 (32 bit). The W7 machine is running the BktTimeSync as administrator.

Hope you can provide an answer.
9h1zz Wrote:I have been using BktTimeSync for several years and have occasionally had failures to retrieve time from the ntp2.inrim.it default server.
Whenever that happens, I select another server from the list and all is well.

However in the last few days, all the Italian servers give the same Error 11004 and servers in other countries as well.
Has something changed? Is authorization now needed from the server?

I tried reloading your software, but the problem is still there. I have this on three different computers. Two running XP
and one on Windows 7 (32 bit). The W7 machine is running the BktTimeSync as administrator.

Hope you can provide an answer.

Hi,
On my PC ntp1.inrim.it work normally without any problems.
Over to the server, also controls the NTP port, default is 123.
If you have a firewall check that it does not block the NTP port and the program BktTimeSync.
73 de Mauro, IZ2BKT
Mauro, thanks for your reply, confirming that the NTP servers are working correctly.

I have checked the firewalls on my 3 machines, which incidently are all using different
supplier's firewalls, and all are set to allow BktTimeSync to use in/out on all ports.
But I cannot retrieve data from any of the NTP servers.
One machine is still using BktTimeSync Version 1.3, the other two are on Version 1.4.
Everything was working perfectly on all three until a few days ago and I have changed nothing.
My router does not have a firewall.... so is it possible that my ISP has suddenly decided to
block my access for BktTimeSync? What else could it be?

Appreciate your comments

73 Robin, 9H1ZZ
It could be that your ISP has blocked access to the NTP server even if you do not see the reason, or it could be a DNS problem.
Try to put as a server NTP 193.204.114.232 and as a port 123.
73 de Mauro, IZ2BKT
This is really weird.....

I have talked to my ISP and they say there is no blocking in force on my line (and I have a static IP address).
We ran a tracert from my PCs to ntp1.inrim.it and also ntp2.inrim.it and both tracert worked with 12 hops
to the correctly resolved addresses. But the program still fails to retrieve the time. I did try directly
with the IP addresses and got similar results.

With BktTimeSync, I had also tried various NTPs in Germany, France, Ireland, Switzerland and all failed to retrieve
the time, giving the same error.

I then tried a tracert on yet another Swiss NTP (Freestone) and this also resolved the IP address, reaching its
destination in 18 hops. By chance, I then tried Freestone in your BktTimeSync program, and with this NTP it
WORKED.

Why? You are able to synchronize using the Torino NTPs, but I cannot, although there is a path between.
How does it discriminate between you and me if we are using the same software??
However, I am able to synchronize on one NTP which is more remote , but not on others even more remote.
Is there a question of timing? Or perhaps authorization?

Does anyone else get similar problems? For me this started a few days ago.

Robin, 9H1ZZ
On all my PCs have no problems syncing to ntp1.inrim.it, BktTimeSync version is 1.4.0 and do not need special authorization, just to be administrator of your PC.

Of course if the connection is too slow, there may be a timeout problem.
73 de Mauro, IZ2BKT
OK Mauro,

How will I know that the response is too slow and the connection has timed out?
Only by the fact that it fails to report the time? Does the error code mean anything useful ?

Why should an 18 hop path (reporting long time delay) be faster than 12 hops (reporting shorter delay)?
I would guess you have only half a dozen hops to Torino.
If the problem is delays caused at the NTP end, can your software open its own time window more?
Otherwise we will need to know which NTPs are responding rapidly enough to be used reliably to work with BktTimeSync, when the path is many-hop.

Sorry to be a pain, but I had come to rely heavily on BktTimeSync and I want to understand the risks.

73 Robin, 9H1ZZ
I do not know,
I tried to set up a server Australian with 21 hop and 500ms delay and BktTimeSync works fine with no errors.

What antivirus do you use?
73 de Mauro, IZ2BKT
Mauro,
My three machines each use different anti-virus software
Norton 360
Microsoft Essentials
Avast!
So I don't think that is the problem.

I have tried another 10 different NTP servers (reported as covering my area, Europe/World ) from the list, and
the only ones I can find which work are ntp.freestone.net (193.5.68.2) and time2.isu.net.sa (212.26.18.43).
It starts to look more like an authentication issue at some servers, rather than timing.
Should I systematically try all from the list and tell you which ones work for me?

Ciao,
Robin,9H1ZZ
List servers with Policy OpenAccess do not require any authentication.
73 de Mauro, IZ2BKT